[Wine] Mono for Windows vs. .NET?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 22 21:49:53 CDT 2009

Austin English wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 2:58 PM, walt<w41ter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I just installed a program under wine that says "install Mono for
>> Windows to run .NET programs".
>>
>> My question is, why not just install .NET from winetricks instead?
>> Is this something new?
>>

> You could. .NET used to not install properly, and mono is a free
> implementation, though it may not support all of .NET's features.

The 'Install Mono for Windows' will appear if .NET is not installed.
However, you need to know which version of .NET you need.  .NET 1.1 and
2.0 install well, but do not provide all of the functions needed to
support some programs.  .NET 3.0 and .NET 3.5 are, as far as I know, not
usable yet.

James McKenzie