[Wine] Automate wine configuration (drives and registry)

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sat Jul 25 02:33:48 CDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-07-25 at 01:38 -0500, phual wrote:
> One of my apps requires a clean .wine directory after each (wine) version upgrade and I'm starting to get fed up of making all of the set-up required - specifically:
> - creating a DVD drive in winecfg
Should be straight forward once you understand shell scripting. Consider
getting one of the Nutshell books (Unix in a nutshell / Linux in a

> - making small changes to a number of registry values (simple but tedious)
Probably a job for sed or gawk - the registries are text files, so a
scriptable text editor (sed) or a general purpose text manipulator
(gawk) can do it. Probably the best way of seeing exactly what to do is
to use diff to compare a fresh set of registries with ones you've
modified and then use it to check that your script is actually doing
what is needed.

There's an O'Reilly book, "sed & awk", that may be useful.

> Both seem ideal things to be solved by a small script, but I have no idea where to start. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Of course, rather than using bash plus sed or awk to do the job, you
could do it entirely in Perl...