[Wine] Unicode Font

DrK wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Jul 25 03:03:16 CDT 2009

Our Open Source Windows application needs a good, as full as possible, Unicode font for a specific function (this is to display most world-wide characters, including Korean, Indian, Chinese and Japanese characters, and is unrelated to the 'locale' being used).  If it can't find one via calls to the API 'EnumFontFamiliesEx', it issues a message to the user saying this function is, unfortunately, disabled.

This is OK under Windows as it can either use 'Arial Unicode MS' supplied free with most recent versions of Microsoft's Office or 'Arial Unicode' (which is the same but sold separately) or, if the user doesn't have MS Office, it can use 'Lucida Sans Unicode', which is supplied free with all versions of Windows since it supported Unicode.

However, none of these fonts seem to be freely available under Linux and a user has asked us to suppress the message if running under Wine.

It appears that Wine does not want an official method to determine if the application is running under Wine so that we can decide not to display the message preferring instead to fix the 'Bug'.  However, this isn't a 'Bug'.

Not being a Linux user, would someone please tell me what Unicode font is freely available on all/most distributions of Linux (hopefully as a no cost option to the user)?  Also, will it be found via 'EnumFontFamiliesEx' and used in the same manner as any other font by a Windows application?

Many thanks.