[Wine] Re: Help! How to mix win32 and native os calls in code?

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Jul 28 00:00:41 CDT 2009

droidvideo wrote:
> How do you create separate winelib dll?

Take a look at any ... Wine's own dll.

droidvideo wrote:
> I am assuming the dll can call into native api, but I am wondering how the main win 32 app calls into this dll.

Yes, from winelib you can call any native (OS/X, POXIX, etc) function you want. Just keep in mind how much it affects everything else (locking, synchronization, memory allocations, etc).

And you call that dll from your app the same way as you would do it on real Windows - LoadLibrary, GetProcAddress, and so on.

droidvideo wrote:
> I'll be interested in hearing what you think is a good alternative architecture.
> I am basing my work off of the original Windows code. It connects to the COM interface for NaturallySpeaking and creates an extension in Python so that grammars can activate methods with or without arguments.

If it's uses COM you can't do much with that outside of Wine. You can however add a library/interface into Wine, then use it to talk to the outside of Wine using any RPC of your liking.

One way or the other you will need to write something native, as Wine can't (and won't in the near future) "inject" anything into other X windows. It's made that way for a reason, so windows programs can only be told what to do.