[Wine] MS Word document window disappearing in 2003 & 2007 versions

dewoller wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Jul 31 00:21:47 CDT 2009

Hi

Regularily, I will 'lose' a Word document window. It happens when both single and multiple documents are opened.  I will first explain the 2 document case.

If I open 2 documents, I can see this fact by looking at the 'window' menu;  there, it will say that there are 2 documents open.  I can see one document, on screen, but when I try to activate the document that is not seen, ( for example, using the keyboard shortcut alt-W, 1), the on screen document does not change; it does not display the 'hidden' document.  When I press ctrl-w, the hidden document tries to close, either by closing, or by displaying 'you have unsaved changes', but I cannot find any way to display the 'hidden' document.

In the case of a single open document, the Word application window just disappears.  I can see that it is still running as a process. When I kill the wine/Word process, and reload Word, Word tells me that I did not shut down cleanly.

I am running Ubuntu 9.10, compiz window manager; but changing to metacity does not fix the problem.  This has happened with Word from both Office 2003 and 2007.

Does anyone have an idea about how I would go about debugging this problem?  I like Word under wine so much I am getting spoiled;  I want to fix this nagging irritation.

Cheers
Dennis