[Wine] installing latest wine

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed Jun 3 04:58:59 CDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 10:48 +0200, Bala subramanian wrote:
> Friends,
>
> I installed wine in fedora with *yum install wine*. It has installed version
> 1.1.15. I want to install the latest version. How to do it with yum.
> When i give *yum update wine*, no updates are coming.

Yum installs the latest version it can find in the Fedora rpm mirrors.
Yum upgrades will update an older installation to the same state as
running "yum remove wine; yum install wine" would do. This will always
be a few versions behind the latest release at winehq since the Fedora
developers must test that their offering works with the current Fedora
build before releasing it.

If winehq supported an rpm repository you could include that in your yum
configuration but they don't seem to do that. So, if you want the very
latest bleeding edge release, best you learn how to build WINE from
source.

Martin