[Wine] How can I detect WINE from my program?

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 11:25:02 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 11:18 AM, andreaplanet <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> austin987 wrote:
>> Native dialog boxes aren't allowed, many programs depend on certain
>> nuances of the native dialog boxes.
>

> We don't ask for native dialog boxes, it's against the Wine viewpoint, and this is accepted.
> We ask for a simple getNativeOS function. So that we can use our own native linux/mac binary to do whatever we want for a more user-friendly application.

If you're running on Wine, it's going to report the native OS as
whatever Windows version it is emulating.

If you want to use a native linux/mac binary, then do so, you don't
need Wine to do this.

I think what you'd like to do is have your windows program, but bundle
it with some 'native' programs, and selectively call it based on which
OS it is on? If so, distribute a version for each OS you want, have it
run as a native program, and have the windows binary bundled as a
dependency. No need to detect anything from wine.

> austin987 wrote:
>>
>> > Also is it possible to run always own  distributed native linux/mac binaries even with a hardened Linux sandbox?
>>
>> Not sure what you mean here.
>

> oiaohm said that with a hardened Linux/Sandbox it's not possible to run 'other native binaries', is this true also for my own distributed native linux binary or only for the binaries outside the C: symlink?

I think he meant that for some distributions, with e.g., AppArmor, you
can't run native applications from wine, and wine is only allowed
access to files under its C drive. What you are/are not allowed to run
under such systems depends on the configuration.

--
-Austin