[Wine] How can I detect WINE from my program?

Wed Jun 3 11:36:54 CDT 2009

andreaplanet wrote:
> And I understand the viewpoint that Wine
> - want to make applications looks like Windows

I didn't literally mean "make applications look like Windows", I meant,
from a program's point of view, make the Wine API and functions work
exactly the same as they do in Windows, i.e. make the Wine layer totally
transparent.

> - doesn't want to use hacks to make more Windows programs run (better)

Right. :)

The point of detecting Wine to make an application more user-friendly is
moot, in my opinion. It sounds good, but without detecting Wine an
application can be just as user-friendly as it is on Windows, and I
think it will be unmanageable to integrate a Windows application with,
for example, Gnome or KDE specifics, only for when it's running on Wine.
What Austin just said makes a lot of sense:

> I think what you'd like to do is have your windows program, but bundle
> it with some 'native' programs, and selectively call it based on which
> OS it is on? If so, distribute a version for each OS you want, have it
> run as a native program, and have the windows binary bundled as a
> dependency. No need to detect anything from wine.

That makes for a little bit of "detecting wine". Though of course, this
leaves the option of workarounding Wine bugs wide open, with all its
complications.
...Or, of course, port the application to native Unix/POSIX (with Gtk or
KDE, for example) all the way. ;-)

Sjors