[Wine] Compatibility regression after migrating to 64 bit Linux

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 6 15:31:31 CDT 2009

Leonardo Ferreira Fontenelle wrote:
> I'm using an onboard Intel GMA X4500HD (G45 chipset), driver
> xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.6.3-0ubuntu9. If this might be fixed in the
> 2.7 version of the video driver, I would be willing to instal Arch Linux
> on a sepparate partition and try wine on it.

Intel chipsets are notorious for providing poor Linux support.  Wine is
one of those programs that will test the ability of these drivers.
> [In my previous computer I used S3 Unichrome onboard and Nvidia FX 5200
> offboard with either the nv or the nvidia drivers, without a problem.]

NVida on the other hand provides much better Linux support and Wine
functions much better.

I would suggest, if at all possible, using the NVida card if you still
have it.

James McKenzie