[Wine] Compatibility regression after migrating to 64 bit Linux

Leonardo Ferreira Fontenelle leonardof at gnome.org
Sun Jun 7 14:31:43 CDT 2009

Solved!

Em Sáb, 2009-06-06 às 20:21 -0300, Leonardo Ferreira Fontenelle
escreveu:
> Em Sáb, 2009-06-06 às 13:31 -0700, James McKenzie escreveu:
> > Leonardo Ferreira Fontenelle wrote:
> > > I'm using an onboard Intel GMA X4500HD (G45 chipset), driver
> > > xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.6.3-0ubuntu9. If this might be fixed in the
> > > 2.7 version of the video driver, I would be willing to instal Arch Linux
> > > on a sepparate partition and try wine on it.
> > >

> > Intel chipsets are notorious for providing poor Linux support.  Wine is
> > one of those programs that will test the ability of these drivers.
> > > [In my previous computer I used S3 Unichrome onboard and Nvidia FX 5200
> > > offboard with either the nv or the nvidia drivers, without a problem.]
> > >

> > NVida on the other hand provides much better Linux support and Wine
> > functions much better.
> >
> > I would suggest, if at all possible, using the NVida card if you still
> > have it.
>
> Thanks for the information, I wasn't aware of that. I can't use my old
> NVIDIA card because it's for AGP slots, which my current motherboard
> lacks. I'll try the new Intel driver and cross my fingers.

While I was installing ArchLinux (which includes the latest Intel video
driver) and reading its documentation, I found out I'd rather install
the web/core/ms fonts. Eureka! I went back to Ubuntu, installed the
corresponding package, and now the Windows applications are working
fine!

Thank you all for helping me try to figure this out.