[Wine] Re: Wine Package Manager

Jarrhed wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jun 7 19:29:15 CDT 2009

But at the same time, it's not using anything that Mono does not have fully implemented, but why it would only work in Wine is because of the path for the installers. The actual program would run fine under Mono so it can be as open source as Mono is just as long as I convert it from Visual Basic to C#, and I still haven't done any of the actual coding I've just made part of the install wizard and I'm almost done with that part. When I'm done with that I will create an uninstaller similar to that of Programs and Features in Windows Vista or Add or Remove Programs in XP. After that there will be a 3rd tab page for Manage and it will have a few scripts that will do various common things that people have to do to use other programs.

This wouldn't be a package manager like Synaptic or Yum, it would be a very simple one that just downloads and installs software for you. Updates may come later, depending on how the userbase is for this. I believe if advertised correctly and if I code it well it would be used. I'm deciding whether to use SQLite as a database where it would download and query it for the software so it can be updated without me having to physically release a new update of the software but I may or may not do that, haven't decided yet.

Here's a picture of what the wizard looks like:

This is how the ui will look for now, it will be tabs but it may change a bit.