[Wine] WoW not working - crash at start after ug to fc11

tparker tparker at etherstorm.net
Fri Jun 12 10:18:11 CDT 2009

rednoise wrote:
> World of Warcraft]$ wine "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WoW.exe"

On my install the second 'W' in 'Wow.exe" is not capitalized. It might
be worth checking your files or just trying it with the second 'w' lower
case and see if it changes anything. It certainly wouldn't be the first
time one of us got tripped up by a typo. :)

Other than that, I never used 1.1.18 (went from .15 to .20) so I'm not
sure if it had any specific WoW problems, mine is very stable in Wine
1.1.20, have you tried that version or newer?

It might also be worth trying to start it as  \Launcher.exe instead of
\Wow.exe  You should be able to do either but in the past one worked
better than the other for some people. ****If you ever set up a desktop
shortcut that starts the game with the Launcher: On patch days you can
grab and apply the patch fine as normal but when it says it's all done
and ready and the Launcher shows up again, close that Launcher window
down and restart your game as you normally do. If you just hit 'play' on
the Launcher after a patch it usually starts the game without and
special tags you might be using (-opengl, etc.) and you end up having to
restart anyway.