[Wine] Linux, wine and lightroom

Tim1 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Jun 13 04:06:59 CDT 2009

I'd love to tote a 'bells and whistles' sub-notebook though the £800.00 plus price tag for a 10-12" screen machine which can effectively run XP or Vista and CS4 is too much considering I already own a large Tosh notebook (which I'm unwilling to haul overseas...) and two powerful desktops.

So I'm considering a cheaper, less capable sub-notebook, perhaps something around the £250.00 mark. Clearly the specification of such a machine is going to to be limited but by running Linux (which only occupies a gig of HHD), Wine (to run windows programs under the Linux OS) and Lightroom 2 to view RAW files (which only requires a gig of RAM and a gig of HHD) the limited specification of a cheaper machine would seem, on paper, to work. An option to the Wine / Lightroom combo would be to run a RAW capable Linux application like Bibble.

I have absolutely no experience of Linux so I'd be gratefull to hear from anyone who may have considered this option, perhaps tried it and what opinions you may have formed.

Many thanks in advance, Tim