[Wine] vm86 mode is not supported

Darragh Bailey felix at compsoc.nuigalway.ie
Sun Jun 14 12:31:10 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 12:20:36PM -0400, John Drescher wrote:
> No you can not get vm86 in your 64 bit kernel. But you can install
> your application in a 32 bit linux under virtualbox if you have to and
> then copy your wine prefix to your 64 bit machine. That is if only the
> installer is a dos application.
>
> John

That does not ring true since I have a 64 bit kernel and I can confirm
that I do not get the same error as the user. However once I checked
what the file was and it reported it as an MS-DOS self extracting
archive it seemed that lack of vm86 support in his distro kernel was
responsible.

I've done some digging, and as far as I can determine, sys_vm86 should
be available on most x86_64 kernels, it certain is on my amd64 gentoo
box.

grep vm86 /proc/kallsyms
ffffffff8022c690 T sys32_vm86_warning
ffffffff80252d20 W sys_vm86
ffffffff80252d20 W sys_vm86old

So, no need to mess with your kernel.

The problem appears to be that wine for your platform was built against
a glibc that did not install a /usr/include/sys/vm86.h which in turn
references /usr/include/asm/vm86.h. Package name varies from distro to
distro, so it could be glibc-kernheaders or something similar for you.

I can only suggest that if those files exist for you, that you should
contact the package maintainer and point this out as a package build
problem, or if they don't you'll have to contact your distribution
support channels as ask why it's not available.

--
Darragh

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."