[Wine] Re: Playing Games with Wine while listening to music

Dark Mayu wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Jun 16 06:24:47 CDT 2009

jorl17 wrote:
> Hi, what's your distro?
>
> More importantly, do you use a mixer? Do you use OSS or ALSA? (check winecfg).
>
> That's probably due to the fact that Wine gets direct access to the hw (or semidirect, through, say, OSS).
>
> I, myself, use Alsa with Pulseaudio enabled.

Thanks for your reply, Distro's Kubuntu 8.10 64bit(sorry, forgot to mention that before). I'm using the Alsamixer since it's the only one which works properly. Wine is configured to use OSS, otherwise, sound doesn't want to work properly(giving an error if you run an win app via terminal, something like "couldn't find audio"). Kubuntu's default audio player is Amarok. It can be configured to use OSS or Alsa, but every setting has the same effect: as soon as I run Amarok with music, any win app won't have any sound.
Pulseaudio however gave me an idea, I'll try some settings within winecfg and post the results later.