[Wine] Re: Playing Games with Wine while listening to music

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Jun 16 08:27:58 CDT 2009

Dark Mayu wrote:

> jorl17 wrote:
> > Hi, what's your distro?
> >
> > More importantly, do you use a mixer? Do you use OSS or ALSA? (check winecfg).
> >
> > That's probably due to the fact that Wine gets direct access to the hw (or semidirect, through, say, OSS).
> >
> > I, myself, use Alsa with Pulseaudio enabled.
>
> Thanks for your reply, Distro's Kubuntu 8.10 64bit(sorry, forgot to mention that before). I'm using the Alsamixer since it's the only one which works properly. Wine is configured to use OSS, otherwise, sound doesn't want to work properly(giving an error if you run an win app via terminal, something like "couldn't find audio"). Kubuntu's default audio player is Amarok. It can be configured to use OSS or Alsa, but every setting has the same effect: as soon as I run Amarok with music, any win app won't have any sound.
> Pulseaudio however gave me an idea, I'll try some settings within winecfg and post the results later.

Well, someone correct me if wrong (really, do it ;)), but I think that's the problem!
You see, if you don't have a mixer for OSS, as soon as it 'catches' the hardware, it doesn't let it go, that's why I talked about pulseaudio.

However, if you don't want it, or if you want to keep alsamixer (pardon me for my ignorance, is that a mixer?) I can advise you to use the alsa-oss wrapper.

This wrapper works in such a way that an OSS app sends its audio into ALSA. When a mixer for ALSA is there, the OSS sound gets mixed too, allowing for multiple sounds!

So, since you're in (k)ubuntu (same thing over here):

sudo apt-get install alsa-oss

next thing is to run EVERY wine/OSS app like the following:

aoss <app here>

so, for wine:

aoss wine <yourapp.exe/.com/.somePECrap>

That _should_ do it, I think :)

Back when Wine had serious problems with Pulseaudio, I used to set it to OSS and do that, but now it seems to work flawlessly in all my installs.

Cheers,

Jorl17