[Wine] Kubuntu and Wine Problems

Thu Jun 18 20:50:50 CDT 2009

Austin English wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 5:33 PM, pongolo<wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>> I have deleted the .wine folder and also tried using WINEPREFIX with the same results.  Notepad does work.
>>
>> What I don't understand is that the Ubuntu installation I created inside a virtualbox in Kubuntu was able to install Call of Duty 2 without any problems.
>>
>> If the only difference between Ubuntu and Kubuntu is the desktop interface, why is it that I can install the program under Ubuntu but not under Kubuntu?  I have tried the installation on a friend's Kubuntu with the same results.
>
> That'd be a better question for Canonical...maybe it uses a different
> kernel? Or some other package difference.

Pongolo and Austin,

Positive, the only difference is KDE versus Gnome. Both use exactly the
same repository and are in essence exactly the same distribution,
including exactly the same versions of packages; the only difference is
that for Kubuntu KDE is initially installed (as a dependency of
kubuntu-desktop), and Ubuntu has Gnome by default (as a dependency of
ubuntu-desktop).

Yet that doesn't explain why Wine would be having problems on all
Kubuntu installations, and not on all Ubuntu installations. I'm thinking
it's either a problem in KDE specifically - which I have doubts about -
or you *think* the difference is between Ubuntu and Kubuntu while it's
not; when I hear this story I think chances are it worked in your VM
because that was a fresh install or it had different drivers; and it
didn't work on your friends Kubuntu install because it either had the
same or similar drivers, or it wasn't a fresh install either.

File bugs for the problems you are having (what are the errors? etc),
then wait until they are solved accordingly - and only keep in mind that
it *could* be ubuntu/kubuntu-related. If you have some time and some
free disk space, please try installing a fresh Ubuntu on there and see
if it works; if it does, try installing a fresh Kubuntu and see if it
works then. That's the only way to be sure, but I seriously doubt that
has to do with your problems.

Sjors