[Wine] Newb needs help with Lotus Ami Pro

drpetrov wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Jun 19 05:26:57 CDT 2009

Hi, folks.

I'm new to both Ubuntu Linux and Wine.

I've been running Lotus Ami Pro for years under Windows 98 and have about 70MB of Ami Pro files.  Nowadays, though, printers are not made to support Windows 98 anymore.

I had heard about WINE, and rather than buy another Microsoft product, I decided to see if I could run Ami Pro under another OS.  My new printer works perfectly under Linux, so that's not a problem.

Abiword can open Ami Pro files, but only if they do not contain tables or frames.  Well, tables and frames are pretty damn important and 90% of my documents have one or the other.

Ami Pro runs under Windows 3.1 so I figured it would work perfectly under WINE.  It doesn't use the registry and only has a couple of .ini files you need to put in the WINDOWS directory.

Unfortunately when I try to run it under wine, the program opens but then when I move the mouse the cursor disappears if I move it into the area of the program window.  Shortly after opening the window dims and I believe this means the program is not responding.

I'm totally new to this application and operating system so I really have no idea how to make this work.  Any help would be appreciated.

Peet