[Wine] Best OS

Fri Jun 19 05:41:02 CDT 2009

asmith wrote:
> Thanks for the replay.
>
> The host is not offering me Ubuntu. Just the 3 OS mentioned above.
> You probably would laugh ;), But I've never used a linux for my pc. I've been on linux servers only for sites I work on, A combination of apache and php5.
> I've never touched one closely.

A VPS is wrong to start with if you want to do things like that. Ubuntu
is really easy for beginners; what I think is best for you is to install
Ubuntu either on your own (separate partition or something) or another
PC, and then start using it. Learn to use Wine and learn to do things on
Wine with it.

You should note that the VPS does not just come with a graphical server.
A Windows VPS would be something you, for example, "VPN" into and you
get a graphical interface; you SSH into a Linux server mostly and get a
raw console where you can input commands. Of course you can install an X
server there, then a VPN server, and then you could VPN into your
graphical environment. No doubt that would also make it much easier to
run those Wine programs - if they take options through their graphical
interface, you either have an X (graphical) server running on that
server, or you run it on your own PC and when you break the connection,
the program dies; probably not what you want since I understand you're
talking about a long process you want to run in the background.

> So these names of different OS are all the same for me. (Fedora just "sound" a better name to me)
>
> I've searched a bit for "best os for wine" or some similar. But nothing special came up. As you called it a flame bait, I guess they must be all equal but with  their own pros and cons.
>
> Still I'd like to see more replies. I've got some windows image converters, That I'd like to know how fast Wine handle executing them.

Wine works just as fast on all these platforms, it is really a matter of
preference.

What I think would be best for you, is to first run Ubuntu on one of
your own PC's, and then really use it for a while, try to get those
programs for Wine working, then if you still want the VPS, choose for
Debian. Once it's installed, upgrade to testing (squeeze AFAIK), then
install an X server and VPN server (google for that). Debian is very
much related to Ubuntu, so you will be able to use what you learned on
your Ubuntu machine. After you installed X and a VPN server, you can use
a VPN client on your PC to connect to the machine and have the graphical
interface right away. Then you'll be able to run those Wine programs to
your liking.

So you probably shouldn't get that VPS until you're sure you're
comfortable with the environment, and sure you can use those Windows
programs correctly in Wine.

Good luck,
Sjors