[Wine] Best OS

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Sat Jun 20 02:56:54 CDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 05:06, asmith<wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Thanks for the replies.
>
> I guess it is a good idea for me to try the Linux OS on a pc and just look what it is and try everything locally first.
>
> Is it possible I install the Linux on my pc which has windows as well? (running both at the same time)

Virtualbox.... (VMware server / MS Virtual PC might work as well, but
Virtualbox beat the free versions of those...) (And a virtualized
environment is probably a good test, since a VPS is a virtualized
environment as well...) You need lots of RAM though, since you need to
give the VM a decent-sized chunk...

Or create a partition and dual boot... (Most live-CDs can do this,
shrinking partitions is risky though...)

For debian: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Win32-loader_%28Debian%29
For Ubuntu: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wubi_%28Ubuntu%29

Note: I have a VPS with VPSLink and they offer quite a few OS
choices... (In general: You need to take a decent amount of RAM
though, which might get expensive and Xen seem te be a better choice
than OpenVZ, at least for small amounts of RAM...) (Several VPS
providers exist, shopping around is probably not a bad idea...)

Gert