[Wine] Re: Kubuntu and Wine Problems

pongolo wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Jun 23 20:27:54 CDT 2009

Here's the latest...

I moved the Call of Duty 2 installation (.wine folder) from the Ubuntu virtualbox to the native Kubuntu and tried starting the game.  The audio played but no video.  I quit the program and tried adding some code I found on the web to get COD2 working to one of the .wine config files.  That helped to get the intro sequence but I did not get the menus after the intro.  I looked at my hardware drivers and had not realized that the Nvidia drivers were not active.  I activated the driver and restarted and was able to run COD2.  It runs very well, even at the highest resolution.

Next, I tried installing Battlefield 1942 but the program aborted during the first checks on installation.  I saw that a new version of wine was recently released and I upgraded to wine 1.1.24.  I tried installing Battlefield 1942 and did not run into any problems.  The installation started fine.  Unfortunately I do not have enough space left on /home to install it but I got much farther than the previous attempts.  I believe it probably would have installed without any issues.

It appears that I had a video driver problem coupled with some other problem with the previous release of wine (1.1.23).  All seems to work now.

Thanks again for all your help,
Freddie