[Wine] Steam Games Don't Work. Please Help!

MooTM wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Jun 24 14:11:18 CDT 2009

I bought a new computer for myself, and installed Kubuntu on it. I installed Steam on it, bought the orange box, tried to run TF2, and it didn't work. When I started it up, t showed the VALVE logo and played their little jingle, showed the Source logo, then the screen went blank and nothing happened :x . It opened it in the Konsole (Terminal) and it gave me this when the screen (on the desktop that I had TF2 on) went blank:

wineserver crashed, please enable coredumps (ulimit -c unlimited) and restart.

(There were a few error messages before that, something about GLshaders, but the above seemed to be the main thing.) So I looked online, and other people have been having the same problem. They were told to downgrade Wine to a more stable version. So I am posting this for 3 reasons:
1. To get extra confirmation on what I should do.
2. To see if the solution to the other cases is the same for this.
3. To find out how to put the solution into action (e.g. downgrade Wine)

Please Help! [Exclamation]  [Crying or Very sad]