[Wine] Steam Games Don't Work. Please Help!

tparker tparker at etherstorm.net
Wed Jun 24 15:35:27 CDT 2009

MooTM wrote:
> So you think I should UPGRADE from 1.1.23 Beta to 1.1.24 Beta which is
> going to still be a bit unstable, rather than downgrade to a stable
> version; 1.0.1?

I don't play Steam games so do not know the specifics of making them
work in wine, but that poster was correct about the regression problems
in 1.1.23 and changing to a different version is fairly consistent and
solid advise for many wine issues. If you do decide to go to a lower
version for stability, I would not recommend going as far back as 1.0.1
even though it is the version listed as 'stable'. There are many
important improvements after that version that you would be missing out
on and could end up facing more issues with your specific program
because of that. If you want to drop back versions try it in smaller
chunks and do a quick search of the db and forum to pick one that didn't
seem to have issues with the programs you are looking to use, possibly
try 1.1.20.