[Wine] Script to run Wine and save log

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 17:10:02 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Gert van den Berg<wine-users at mohag.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 23:38, Austin English<austinenglish at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Somethings that would be nice to add (preferably with a proper option parser):
>>> Graphics card model / driver detection (Portability might be hard....)
>>
>> Not sure how easy that is, tbh.
>
> Hmm...
>
> Even a
> card=`lspci | grep 'VGA ' 2> /dev/null`
> card=${card:-Unknown}
>
> might be better than nothing... (But it is UGLY and would probably
> only work on Linux (that's what the /dev/null is for...))

Right.

>>> State of common problematic processes, such as pulseaudio / compiz
>>
>> Yes, good idea. Preferably with a warning/error if they're enabled.
>>
> I don't like grepping ps output though... There must be a better way to check...

Personally, I'd just do:
if [ -x `which compiz` ]
then
    echo "You've got comipz installed. This is bad, and conflicts with
Wine. Remove it."
fi

>>> Logged in user (`id` should work..)
>>
>> `id` gives a lot more info, e.g., groups a user is in. `whoami` would
>> be better. Or $USER.
>>
> whoami doesn't work on Solaris. "who am i" does work though. id with
> certain parameters can emulate whoami. (see "whoami --help")

What's wrong with $USER? What exactly do you need this for, anyway?

> I thought the group info might be useful for troubleshooting...

Not particularly. The only time that I can think of is for distro's
that make the video/audio devices owned by a video/audio group, and
don't automatically add regular users to that group.

--
-Austin