[Wine] Wine crashes with ~/.wine on mount point with noexec set indirectly

Fri Jun 26 19:53:42 CDT 2009

Hey all,

I just decided I was too much out of space on my normal Linux partition.
I had a spare partition, so I mkfs.ext4'd it, created a directory 'wine'
owned by me, moved all contents of ~/.wine to it, and ran a sudo mount
-o bind /media/sdb2/wine /home/dazjorz/.wine. I proceeded to take a look
inside and everything was, of course, just fine. When I ran "wine
someAppThatHadAlwaysJustWorked.exe", I first got a crash in
winedevice.exe, then in that app.

Then I noticed that the partition /dev/sdb2 was mounted noexec, so I
umounted ~/.wine and /media/sdb2, remounted /dev/sdb2 with exec, and
remounted ~/.wine - and it all worked again.

This is with Wine 1.1.24. Has this always been behavior, or is it a
regression somewhere? Is there anything that can be changed about it?

I know how to reproduce (and so do you), so a back trace can be
retrieved quite easily.

Sjors