[Wine] Re: Beginner's Guide to Wine? (mac user)

gdwarner wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Jun 29 17:29:11 CDT 2009

Oz --

This probably won't help you much with Unix, but I whipped up an article on using Darwine (now just Wine) on the Mac a few weeks back.  You can read it here:

http://www.cheapandsleazy.net/darwine.html (http://www.cheapandsleazy.net/darwine.html)

There's a link in the article to an older build of Darwine, which has been superseded by something called WineBottler (http://mike.kronenberg.org/?p=194).

So, just use the older build (http://www.kronenberg.org/darwine) for a few minutes -- long enough to install an app or two -- then delete the Darwine folder, and download the new WineBottler ... which the afore-mentioned article doesn't cover -- yet -- but you can find the basics of how to use it on the main page of my (cheap and sleazy) website; just search for the word "rebirth" and you'll find them.

As for learning to use the terminal, O'Reilly published a book entitled "Learning Unix for Mac OS X Tiger a few years back (2005-ish).  You should be able to pick up a used copy on Amazon fairly cheaply.

Finally, once you have had a chance to look through the book, if you can, it couldn't hurt to take a class at your local community college; you can then apply the knowledge you gained from both the school's text and the O'Reilly book!  Win-win!

Good luck ....

--gdw