[Wine] Update wine?

Lisa Denia eiffel56 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 18:37:43 CDT 2009

> It appears that it is recommended to uninstall previous version of Wine, in
> order to update (here: http://wiki.winehq.org/HowTo, first paragraph).
> When uninstalling previous versions of Wine, does the virtual C drive (and
> associated programs) remain intact?

Most probably, yes. The "C" drive is held in your WINEPREFIX(default is
$HOME/.wine), and will not be deleted as with any other application out there.
Some package managers have the ability to detect the setting files/folders in
your home and delete them, but I don't know any package manager to do that
without asking to.
If you always use your package manager to install wine, you'll most probably
don't need to remove the old version manually. Your package manager will do
everything for you(true for dpkg, rpm, pacman, ...).