[Wine] Re: direct i/o using wine

alessandro_maffei wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Mar 8 04:20:33 CDT 2009

oiaohm wrote:

> You really need to seriously consider splitting your program in two.  Service or a Driver as root and interface as usermode.

OK, I must change every i/o access of my application to a localhost:xxxx service,
implement the same service at the same port in WinXP and in linux (service with i/o permission), run the service and then run my applicaton.
it's right?

oiaohm wrote:

> The kind of operation you are asking for is not simple to be made work.    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/IO-Port-Programming-2.html#ss2.2  Note the warning there about using device port system can be completely exploited by any program giving that ablity.   This also applies to Windows raw IO support.  Due to using raw hardware access any program doing that can in theory take out the OS.

using an i/o server native in linux I can use the normal method to implement direct i/o access

oiaohm wrote:

> Things are forbin from normal users for very good reasons under Linux.  You have to consider the security side of what you are doing alessandro_maffei.  No point having you program working on Windows and Linux if it equals running insecure.

OK, true!
Best regards, your post is very usefull