[Wine] Noob problems with Darwine

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 9 09:25:20 CDT 2009

beerco <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote on March 9th:

>I've installed darwine 1.1.9 on my mac.  I've read all of the tutorials
>and forums that I could find but I'm still not able to solve my problem.
>I imagine I must be missing something that's so obvious that it doesn't
>even make its way into a tutorial.

No, this is problem that appeared with a newer build of Wine for MacOSX
that Mike Kronenberg produces.  We have not been able to figure out
what caused it.  It may be something that Apple did during the upgrade
process for Leopard, it may be because of external libraries, or it just
may be a build that runs for some, but not for others.

>I can't run programs.  If I start winehelper and try to run a program
>(say regedit.exe) I get the errors at the end of this post in the log:

Can you try this:

Open a terminal session.
Change directories to /Applications/Darwine/Sample\ Library\ Applications
wine regedit

and see if this runs and if you get any strange error messages after Wine
crashes?

>The app was started from the applications folder, not the fake c: drive.
>
>Am I missing some files? Any advice on what I'm doing wrong?

[Error messages removed]

Questions based upon what I wrote above [please use the quote feature and
reply to each with an answer below the question:

What version of MacOSX are you using?

Do you have either the Fink or MacPorts products installed?

Have you installed XQuartz (if you don't know what it is, you have not)?

Also, I am working with the folks at good-day.net to get a newer version of
Wine for MacOSX uploaded.  Please be patient.

James McKenzie