[Wine] How do I switch the keyboard layout?

skriticos wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Mar 10 08:23:54 CDT 2009

Hello there. I'm trying to switch the keyboard layout for a wine application to a nonsystem standard.

Background: system standard is dvorak, but that horribly conflicts with the AWSD movement control of games.

Stuff I tried and failed:
* switching the layout in the GNOME panel keyboard layout switcher
* rewriting the xorg.conf for english as standard language
* using env LANG="en_US.UTF-8" as parameter for the launcher
* poking around in winecfg
* googling

System: Ubunutu 8.10 (gnome), Wine 1.1.16

Note: SCIM is normally running for Japanese layout, but I also tried to kill this one and run programs to no avail.

Any ideas how I can persuade wine to use the English layout and ignore the system defaults.

Grateful for any help
- Seth