[Wine] Folder creation problems

mark rumsey wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Mar 10 18:14:36 CDT 2009

I hope you can help. I'm a bit of a newbie experimenting with Linux, virtual machines and (of course) Wine before I decide on how to set up my next computer, i.e. whether to go Windows or Linux. Wine is a very important part of this, but I am having a strange problem. I am running OpenSuSE 11.1 with Wine 1.1.19 and cannot get anything to install. I have tried Micrografx Designer 3.1 (16 bit) and Micrografx Draw 5 (32 bit) and both are exhibiting the same problem. Both start the installation programs fine and everything works perfectly until they need to create a folder. As soon as I get there, I get a message "Unable to create desired directory" and the whole thing fails. If I manually create the folder before starting the install, it works fine, copying files to the 'drive', until it needs to create another,and then  it stops again with the same message.

So far I have tried manually setting the permissions (in Linux) to allow everyone read & write access to the entire .wine folder structure and the drive_c folder and it has made no difference. I am currently unable to try uninstalling and reinstalling Wine as the OpenSuSE download server is offline and Yast work properly without access to it. Yes, I know this is a very 'Windows' solution to fixing probems, but I've got a Windows background!

I've checked throught the config settings (winecfg) and can't find anything that looks wrong. One odd thing is Wine Explorer says that the create directory option is not yet implemented, but I could have sworn it was available. And just to make things more odd, the PC I've been experimenting on has been set up in various ways to see what works and what does not (different partitioning arrangements including making the .wine folder in it own native NTFS partition) and in one of my previous installations I was able to install software. Anyone got any ideas? I am sure it is just me doing something wrong, but I don't know what else to try.

Many thanks

Mark