[Wine] WoW Performance - Degrades over Time

tparker tparker at etherstorm.net
Thu Mar 12 08:50:22 CDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 11:34 +0200, Kalle Last wrote:

> I seem to be having somewhat similar issues lately. Unfortunately I
> haven't been able to pin down the problem yet as lots of things
> changed. I went from 64 bit Kubuntu 8.-something, older NV drivers,
> wow 3.0.3 to 64bit Gentoo with 180.-something NV drivers, latest Wine
> and wow patch 3.0.9.

Mine seems to be finally becoming stable again, a couple things that
might be worth trying to see if they help on your system (no promises):

-go into WINE config, graphics tab and look for a box that says 'allow
pixel shader', be sure it is not checked. You may have to go back in and
reselect it if you have another game that uses it, but for some odd
reason my WoW runs better without that, even though I use opengl

-if you start the game from a desktop shortcut be sure that "-opengl"
without the quotes is at the end of the Command line, sometimes updates
take it out.

-for stability you might want to try limiting your system to 3G ram as
mentioned on the WINEappdb page, not a favorite work around but it does
help some people until a better solution is found.

-check your /ect/X11/xorg.conf, in the Files section for a line that
says either ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/fglrx"
or ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia".  If yours
says nvidia at the end try commenting it out and putting in the line
ending with fglrx.  When I upgraded to the 180.x drivers it changed that
line and I got graphics glitches until I changed it back to ending in
'fglrx'.