[Wine] Re: Folder creation problems

mark rumsey wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Mar 12 17:44:04 CDT 2009

I think you're going to like this. Trying to run setup from the command prompt (wine setup.exe) does not create any output in the terminal window, but I do get a message pop up from the setup program saying 'Setup failed to detect either Windows 95 or Windows NT3.51 or later'. When I hit OK on that the message 'wine client error:lb: write: Bad file descriptor' pops up on the command line. If I then press enter, I get back to the command prompt. Does that make any sense?

Just for reference, winecfg is set for Windows XP as the default version. If I try and run setup under 'real' WinXP (whether on a native XP machine or on a virtual machine under this installation of Linux) the setup program starts and runs normally. One odd thing I've just spotted about this software. Although it appears to be 32 bit, it may be partially 16 bit and it looks like the core code for setup is predominantly 16 bit as it is running up ntvdm.exe and wowexec.exe when run under 'real' windows.

I hope all of the above makes sense.

Thanks

Mark