[Wine] Sending input events to background applications in Win32

bhua8122 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Mar 13 17:46:10 CDT 2009

Our goal is the create a application sharing system that allows users to drag the applications off-screen into other people's desktops for them to use while maintaining control of the local desktop. Currently we plan to implement it by creating a virtual screen and placing the shared application there. VNC will then be used to stream windows to peers and input will be routed over.

The problem I am facing is that Win32 only has one event queue and allows input only to the active window/app. This is a deal breaker as we wanted to send input coming in from the network to a specific, background application on the virtual screen. We have to do this as the active window from the local user's perspective will the the one they are using on there real, physical desktop.

I want to write a wrapper for the Win32 DLL(s) and reimplement the window management with multiple event queues/multiple activate windows. I don't need multiple pointers (altough that has been done by CPN Mouse) to achieve this as I just need to route calls like SendInput to the desired background application (clicks, drags, over, up/down and keystrokes).

Since Wine is also a (re)implementation of Win32, I was hoping developers here will have some insight on where I should start looking and whether the entire modification is in just 1 DLL, a collection of them or whethere it is even feasible to do such a thing.