[Wine] Re: WoW Performance - Degrades over Time

Rico wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Mar 14 04:46:25 CDT 2009

ds wrote:
> Just applying the patch did not fix the problem for me.
>
> I'm a bit confused about the mem=4g part. Is this related to a problem particular to having 4 gb RAM or a more general problem? I have 1 gb RAM, would changing this option possibly help me, and if so, to what value?

Probably 1GB ram is a little bit small and the kernel is swapping to disk which could get you a big performance hit.

According to posts on http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=127984 the mem=3G / 4G switch is only for 64Bit distributions and more than 3GB ram installed and with a geforce 8 or better and proprietary nvidia driver. Otherwise the switch seems to be useless for this problem.

It looks like the problem isn't present if (testers are welcome to verify this by trying the attached test case in the nvnews forum):
- there is a geforce 6 in the machine (haven't seen a log/comment with a geforce 7)
- there is a smaller amount of ram (less than 3GB)

Completely untested:
- 32Bit kernel with pae and more than 3GB ram, geforce 8+