[Wine] Grand prix legends recognize only two joystick axis

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sun Mar 15 18:46:58 CDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-15 at 17:33 -0500, Xwang wrote:
> vitamin wrote:
> >
> > Xwang wrote:
> > > warn:dinput:find_joydevs Failed to open "/dev/input/event0": 13 Permesso negato
> >
> > This is your problem. Fix access to the event* device associated with your joystick.
If your distro uses udev (Unified device control), which it probably
does, you can fix this yourself.

The rules used by udev to set up devices are in /etc/udev/rules.d
You shouldn't change the rules files because any kernel upgrade might
overwrite them, but you can add a custom file. The rule that's affecting
you is:

KERNEL=="mouse*|mice|event*",   NAME="input/%k", MODE="0640"

in '50-udev-default.rules'. These files are applied in lexical sort
order at  boot time, so you can add a file called, say,
'55-my-custom.rules' to contain the following lines:

# Custom rules
# Give user,group and world read and write access to /dev/input/event*
KERNEL=="event*",   NAME="input/%k", MODE="0644"

This rule will override the access permissions set in
'50-udev-default.rules'. You'll need to do this as root. Use any text
editor (vi, emacs or gedit will all be fine) to create the file, which
must be:

- owned by root
- in the root group
- read and write accessible to root
- read accessible by group and world

Check this once you've created it and use chown and/or chmod to fix
ownership and access as necessary. If you try this be very careful not
to change any of the existing files: you can upset the entire i/o system
if you damage them.

Make sure you keep a copy of your custom file somewhere safe. You may
need it again. You'll almost certainly need to reinstall it if you do a
clean install of a future Ubuntu release or change to a different