[Wine] Very simple exe program - network issues?

mpcengineering wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Mar 17 08:34:43 CDT 2009

Hi guys, been trying to get this thing to work for a while and thought I would throw this one out and see if anyone can pin down something I might have missed.

So, I have this very simple exe, there's no installer, its stand alone.  When you run it up you have to pass it a configuration file as an argument, and in order for it to work it also needs to find 3 registry entries, and have 2 network drives mapped.

To the best of my knowledge I have done everything right but I still cannot get the thing to work:

wine regedit - To manually enter the registry information, this consists of a license string, and 2 IP's.  When you start the exe, it immediately looks for the license string, it isn't throwing an invalid license error message so it must be seeing this registry entry correctly at least.

winecfg - to map the drives to the correct drive letter, these are mounted as samba shares on my ubuntu install and I have just pointed wine at these 2 local mount points.  If you open explorer in wine, it sees these drives correctly with the right letters and their content appears to be accessible as it needs to be.

wine app.exe config_file.pan - to start the app, it runs up, sees the license registry entry, sees the configuration file argument fine.

After this point however, it should query 2 remote servers on the intranet the IP's for which are in the registry entries, and its after this it becomes clear if the drives are mapped correctly or not.  I'm confident that the drives are mapped ok or at least if they aren't I'll come to that when I get there, but I really cant work out why it doesn't see the remote servers, it never gets past searching for them...

A bit of info:  I don't know exactly what the exe is doing at this point, I didn't write it, but I also installed firefox into this same prefix and that could see the internet and intranet fine, it has to be something relating to these registry entries with the IP's I think...

I am using wine 1.0.1 and ubuntu 8.10, any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon