[Wine] Re: Updating wine with GIT

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Mar 18 15:02:15 CDT 2009

orlox wrote:
> Here I've noticed that I have to manually specify the package version on checkinstall, or else, the installation fails (is there a way to avoid this??)...

Consult man page for checkinstall. I'm guessing version is a mandatory option.

orlox wrote:
> cd ~/wine-git
> git reset --hard origin
> git fetch
> git rebase origin
>
> However, I've noticed that if I ommit the last command (git rebase origin) Compilation goes much faster...Is it neccesary to do that?? What does git rebase origin does??

Of course it does - you not really compiling anything as no code was changed.

Git, unlike other source control systems, keeps all patches in it's internal storage. Actual source files produced out of that storage but not itself the actual storage (like with cvs). What 'git fetch' does is pulling all updates (patches) from upstream (WineHQ) into internal storage. 'git rebase origin' in a sense generates all the source code out of internal storage.

It's a bit different than that, but unless you are developer you don't care about those details.