[Wine] Anyone who is experienced with wine and/or CrossOver

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 18 16:07:37 CDT 2009

moniec15 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote on March 18th:

>Hey James, I dont know what that means :( I downloaded and installed X11(Xquartz) 2.3.2 from Apple
>yesterday, and am in the process of installing Wine so that I can start trying to test this, but
>you are saying that only when Xquartz 2.3.3 is made available for us Mac users is when we will be
>able to play this game?

XQuartz 2.3.2 still does not implement features required by some programs.  It appears that this game is one of them.  XQuartz 2.3.3 supposedly will implement the missing features.

>Do you know why this is?

No. However, I think this was a decision by Apple to not support Server 1.4/1.6 which implemented these features due to the amount of time it would take in order to meet the release schedule for Leopard.  I fully expect to see XQuartz 2.4.x to add more features from OpenGL and to allow more programs that rely on those features to run on the MacOSX Operating Sytem.  I don't have any idea when this will happen.

At the present time 2.3.3 is on its second release test version (2.3.3rc2), but I would not implement this product for any reason other than to run tests against it.  2.3.3rc1 had some problems running OpenGL code that exists in Wine.

As to the reason that OpenGL is not enabled is to prevent crashes when unimplemented features are encountered.  Read through other forum postings for an idea of programs that run 'just fine' on Linux but crash on MacOSX.  I have one, dOOm95, a legacy game from the early Windows days that will not run on compiled Wine but will on CrossOver for Mac.  It appears that CodeWeavers found the missing pieces and implemented them.  Of course, these pieces are not Wine code, so they were not ported back into the Wine base.  I applaude the folks at CodeWeavers for doing so, and they may have fed them back to the XQuartz project.

James McKenzie