[Wine] Grand prix legends recognize only two joystick axis

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Thu Mar 19 15:23:34 CDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 13:59 -0500, Xwang wrote:
> Hi,
> I've read your comments, but I haven't understood what you suggest to
> do. The joystick maker and the game maker do not support linux, but I
> think that in this case it is a wine problem since the joystick works
> perfectly in linux.

New data! Would have been nice to know that earlier, since I'd not have
suggested any changes to the udev rules. However, that isn't a problem:
I learnt a little more about the udev subsystem and your computer wasn't
hurt.

In that case I agree with your analysis. The problem has to be in the
game or Wine.

>  In the next days, I will try to install another game under linux to
> see if it is a problem of wine itself or of the game under wine.
> However I suppose it is a problem of the game itself since I've tried
> the game under windows xp and here the joystick axis are not
> recognized.

Not necessarily. It might be an XP problem that Wine faithfully
reproduces.

Do you have a game or a joystick testing/calibration tool that can
detect all the joystick functions under XP? If so, thats the best thing
to install in Wine as a testing tool.

If it works correctly under Wine then the problem is in your game and
you'll need to talk to the game's authors about support for the extra
functions on your joystick.

I've seen this type of problem myself: I think you just have to live
with it. I have a CH joystick (2-axis, throttle wheel, two buttons on
the stick). MSFS used the throttle (though not the buttons IIRC) while
Silent Flight Simulator didn't use either buttons or throttle. I didn't
mind about the buttons since neither are shooters, but it would have
been nice if SFS used the throttle wheel as an airbrake control.

Martin