[Wine] Re: will wine support windows USB drivers?

storkus wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Mar 21 04:42:52 CDT 2009

But USB->serial dongles ARE already supported in wine!  The catch is that you have to add a link manually.   Since I just had to do it again (under Crossover) for a certain piece of software that communicates over serial to program a radio, I can tell you from memory it involves simply making a link in the "dosdevices" directory from your serial port to the com port.

In my case, I did the following:

ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ./com1

where /dev/ttyUSB0 is my USB -> RS-232 dongle and "." is wherever your "dosdevices" directory is (somewhere under .wine or, for Crossover Linux, .cxoffice/<bottle>); also, the exact location and name of the serial device may be different (for instance, I believe ACM modems are named ttyACMx, but I don't remember for sure), so you need to look, but it's really as simple as this as far as wine is concerned.

Mike