[Wine] Downloading, installing and running .exe programs using Wine

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sun Mar 22 18:33:51 CDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-22 at 15:19 -0500, aaronej wrote:
> I am a Peace Corps volunteer in Chadiza, Zambia and I am in somewhat
> of a predicament which is that my windows operating system crashed.
> Fortunately I had a CD ISO of Fedora 10 I installed onto some flash
> drives, however I need to use my cell phone to access the internet and
> the software to do this is only available via an .exe program.

Wine is the the Fedora 'extras' repository so you can install it with
Fedora's package installer, which will take care of dependencies by
automatically downloading any additional packages that Wine needs. You
do, however, need an online conection capable of downloading several MB
of compressed data.

I normally use the command line form of the package installer, so here's
how to do it from the command line:

1) Login as root
2) Start a terminal to get a command line
   (its usually under System tools)
3) Run the command:

	yum install wine

   Yum will search for and list the packages you need and
   ask if you want to download them. Answer 'yes'. Wait while
   they get downloaded, checked and installed.
4) When yum has finished type 'exit' to close the terminal session
5) Log out of root
6) Login as the user you'll run Wine from and
   follow the Wine setup directions.

Martin