[Wine] "wine explorer ..." eats CTRL keypresses!

zakaluka wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Mar 25 17:08:03 CDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm new to wine, and this is my first post here, so please forgive me if this information is available elsewhere.  I have tried searching regular Google and the custom search on this site, but I can't seem to find the right keywords to get the answer to pop up.

Anyway, here is my problem.  I am using Wine to run a couple of games under linux.  One of those games is Eve Online.  Almost everything is working fine (I applied the appropriate patch).

I am running the game using the following command:

Code:
wine explorer /desktop=1,1440x900 "C:\Program Files\CCP\EVE\eve.exe"

I'm not running it directly as the game is less crash-prone this way.  Here is the issue.  When I run the game directly through wine without using the 'explorer' command, my keyboard works correctly.  However, when I run wine with 'explorer', I can no longer use the CTRL key in-game.  The desktop manager (gdm) still catches CTRL keypresses.  In addition, key combinations like ALT+F1, which work correctly in game in the former instance, are sent directly to gdm in the latter.

How can I make it so that Wine will send the keypresses to Eve first, then onto GDM?

My setup:

Wine 1.1.17 + model patch (installed using apt-get source wine; patch; buildpkg; dpkg --- debian toolchain).
Ubuntu 8.10
Dell e1705 laptop (if that matters).

Thanks and regards,

z.