[Wine] Re: Issues with Wine and Star Wars Galaxies

rwoodsmall wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Mar 25 20:40:24 CDT 2009

What did you update?  Did you install Wine 1.0.1 via MacPorts and 1.1.17 via a source build?  I'm afraid I don't follow.

Re: CodeWeavers CrossOver Games Mac, you can buy it for a one-time fee, and get support for a year.  No forced upgrades.  Money spent on CrossOver goes directly to Wine developers, and I'm a happy purchaser of the product.  If it works for you, it's money well spent, and nobody will try to dissuade you from supporting CodeWeavers.  I also like using the open source Wine releases though.

Also forgot to mention that you're not going to find any Intel GMA drivers for your Mac.  The Xquartz server is basically a modified Xorg server that runs as a native application on Mac OS X.  With recent versions of Xquartz, the X bits of OpenGL/GLX rely on the system OpenGL frameworks.  No driver updates are available, nor would they help.

You're probably not going to get much help with the MacPorts packages...  You can run "port list wine\*" to see the available packages, though.  The standard "wine" MacPort is the stable version 1.0.1, which is very old.  The "wine-devel" package is the current version, 1.1.17.  So remove "wine" and install "wine-devel" to test.  Don't bother with Darwine, it won't work with OpenGL/DirectX.  There may be some custom, up-to-date versions of Darwine with OpenGL support, but I've no idea where to find one.

One of the Xquartz developers also recently added a custom build from the CodeWeavers Games sources.  It's called "wine-crossover-games"  No experience with this via MacPorts, but I've built the CrossOver Games Wine from source and have had good luck with it.  It's a bit a bear to get going perfectly from source on a Mac, though.

There's not much more I can help you with on MacPorts, since I don't use it for my Wine installs.  The Xquartz folks have been good about getting their Xorg changes into MacPorts as well.  The MacPorts documentation is pretty good if you want to stick with that, and these may be applicable if you want to build from source:

http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Building

Most of the standard "install from source" instructions are applicable on Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, etc. as well:

http://ftp.winehq.org/pub/wine/docs/en/wineusr-guide.html#INSTALLING-WINE-SOURCE

If you're so inclined, you can also look at the MacPorts port file for Wine.  It will be in a location like /opt/local/var/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/x11/wine-devel/Portfile.