[Wine] Re: Running games from the ISO

Spudley wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Mar 26 07:53:40 CDT 2009

Thank you so much for all the response -- three totally different answers, and all potentially useful.

(1) Simply telling Wine to think it's a CD-Rom.
Wahey! Thanks for pointing it out. Your suggestion has worked! ....Albeit for a different game (Championship Manager 01/02 Season from Eidos, also released for free download on their site much like Red Alert).

Sadly, however, it doesn't seem to have worked for C&C Red Alert.

Oh well. It's a good start anyway. Thank you very much!

(2) This is the suggestion I've had from a few other sources as well, and does seem likely to be the best way forward. I've tried installing CDEMU and found it very hard to get working. I've installed all the packages, but have struggled with the docs, and google didn't seem to turn up much in the way of info. So unless someone can provide an idiots guide, I'm going to give up on this.

(FWIW, I'm running Kubuntu 8.04 -- if I understand correctly, CDEMU is included by default in 8.10, so if I upgrade at some point, it may all come right)

(3) I'll have a look into this. Assuming the patch is legal and legit, I'll install it and hopefully solve the problem for C&C RA. (I'm guessing it'll be easy enough to install via Wine?)

So in summary, thank you all for the suggestions. The problem is partly solved (ie for a different game), and I've got some good leads to follow up. Thank you. Very much appreciated.