[Wine] PS3

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 27 08:46:09 CDT 2009

Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com> wrote on March 26th:

>On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 10:59 PM, simpleguy <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>> I have been planing on installing a Linux OS on my ps3 for some time and I came across a site that said that wine would allow me to play PC games on it. If this is true what OS would be best and other stuff like that.
>
>No. The PS3 is a PPC machine, not x86. You can't run PC games with that.

This has been a topic of much discussion.

What Austin says is technically correct.  Wine, as delivered, cannot run x86 games or other x86 programs.  However, there was a project, Darwine, that was designed to run Wine under Qemu, which does x86 processor emulation, so that the PPC based MacIntosh computers would be able to run x86 based programs on the PowerPC platform.  Whether or not this has migrated to the PS3 platform, I do not know as I no longer have a PPC system that is reliable enough to conduct lengthy tests.  However, I do suggest visiting the Qemu pages for further information on that project.  The Darwine pages have not been touched for a long time, but there is a rather old version of Wine that you could try on your PS3 and see if it will even function there.

Good luck with running Wine on your PS3.

James McKenzie