[Wine] IPX and AMD64 not mixing?

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Sun Mar 29 03:22:08 CDT 2009

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 5:37 PM, Sephiroth <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Anybody?  I'd like to be able to play some of my older Win9X games on the laptop via Wine, but I don't see a tutorial or FAQ page on IPX, much less IPX on an AMD64 build of Linux.  What do I have to do to make IPX work in Wine?

Accordign to the Red Alert HOWTO, you need to be running as root for
IPX to work...

This might be a bad idea, since it enables bugs in Wine (not very
likely, but not impossible) / Windows malware to destroy all data on
your computer.

Some info: (I presume that most games uses the UDP equivalent in IPX,
which would probably require a listening socket)
http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0202.2/0309.html

Gert