[Wine] Re: IPX and AMD64 not mixing?

Sephiroth wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Mar 29 11:07:31 CDT 2009

Red Alert had a UDP patch to allow LAN play via UDP/IP.  99% of the games out there that used IPX did not get their code changed from IPX to UDP.  In fact, Red Alert is the only game that I know of with such a patch.  In fact, most games that used IPX for multiplayer wound up only being playable online through tunneling via a service like Heat, Kali, MPlayer, or others.

Also, I don't see why you would need to be root to use a protocol installed on the local machine available to all users.  That sounds like a major Wine bug.  I'll try running LoMSE as root to see if it fixes the problem.  If it does, we should file a bug report if one hasn't already been filed.  I know for a fact that normal Linux applications don't need root access to use IPX because I have done so in the past.