[Wine] Re: World of Warcraft: WOTLK + GMA3000 (not X3000)

Sephiroth wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Mar 30 20:42:43 CDT 2009

In Wine, yes.  In Windows however, using GL produces no noticeable difference in famerate, and the graphics don't look as nice in many cases due to GL not being fully implemented in WoW as originally intended.  In fact, I was having an old version of WoW lock my machine slam up (1.10, eons ago) and once I got tech support, they told me to use OpenGL via "-opengl" and see if it fixed my problem.  When it didn't, they told me that GL was never completed in the engine and was mainly used for troubleshooting, such as my case.

Don't get the wrong idea though, I am NOT pro-D3D or anti-GL.  I am anti-D3D and pro-GL/AL, and in fact program under Windows and Linux using GL for my 3D graphics needs and AL for audio needs.  I just know that GL isn't 100% in WoW, which is a real shame.  I also believe that I remember something about a Linux version of WoW being discussed at one point, but it never saw the light of day.