[Wine] IPX and AMD64 not mixing?

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Tue Mar 31 02:05:35 CDT 2009

"Sephiroth" <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> You are right though, [IP ports] 1024+ are usable by normal users.
> I cannot understand for the life of me why they even bothered
> putting in IPX support if it's broken and useless.

Probably because someone expected that it would be used only for
mounting disk shares from Windows/Samba servers, or for exporting
disk shares via Samba:  since only root can mount or export, only
root needs to be able to bind to an IPX socket.

It might be worth checking your distro's docs, to see if there may
be a configuration option.